Description
LAGUNA BEACH, CA — Laguna Beach residents can expect the cobblestones at the city's south Main Beach to be closed for construction until June 17, after council members voted to move forward with emergency repairs during their Tuesday meeting.
The emergency construction comes after the city received reports of the plaza area suffering "severe disrepair," according to a city staff report.
"As a major pedestrian entrance to Main Beach and the site of numerous public gatherings, the deteriorated concrete area creates a dangerous path of travel for residents and visitors," a city staff report read.
Laguna Beach City Council voted 3-2 in favor of the emergency repairs after hearing from two public commenters, one of which whom questioned the fact that construction on the cobblestones had already started prior to the council's vote.
"I really question how this has happened. I got a call from a reporter today, and he said the concrete was already torn up — and you haven't even approved this yet," Laguna Beach resident Ann Christoph said during public comments. "This is not the way we do business on a prime location, on our oceanfront, and not have any involvement of the council on this decision? This is not correct."
The repairs will cost the city $153,355, which will be allotted through the city's Main Beach Park Renovation Project. The cobblestones, which are not cobblestones but stamped concrete, are slotted to be replaced by June 17.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.