Description
MIAMI, FL — The Miami Marlins had been scheduled to take on the Mets on Thursday night at Marlins Park, but the game was postponed after two members of the New York franchise tested positive for the coronavirus.
"Following two positive tests for COVID-19 in the New York Mets' organization, tonight's game between the Mets and Miami Marlins at Marlins Park, as well as tomorrow's scheduled contest between the Mets and New York Yankees at Citi Field, have been postponed," Major League Baseball said in announcing the postponement.
League officials said the decision was made "out of an abundance of caution and to allow for additional testing and contact tracing to be conducted."
The 9-9 Marlins were forced into a weeklong coronavirus hiatus at the start of this year's abbreviated season when players tested positive for the highly contagious virus. The team was in second place in the National League East behind the 14-11 Atlanta Braves as of Thursday.
The 12-14 Mets were in third place behind the Marlins in the National League East. In a statement, the team said players who were not affected by the virus would fly back to New York Thursday night with "recommended" safety precautions in place.
"The team is currently conducting contact tracing, and the two members that tested positive along with those traced to be within close contact will remain in Miami tonight," the Mets said. The team planned to test its entire traveling party.
Eighteen Marlins players and two coaches tested positive for the virus after Miami took on the Philadelphia Phillies during July 24-26 in Philadelphia.
The Marlins' home opener against the Baltimore Orioles was subsequently postponed, and the team sat out for eight days.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.