Description
BRIDGEPORT, CT — A 57-year-old former Bridgeport Fire Department battalion chief has been arrested on a charge of first-degree aggravated sexual assault in connection with an attack that Bridgeport police said occurred in February.
Harold Clarke Sr. turned himself in at Bridgeport Police Headquarters Thursday morning, and was being held in lieu of bail of $250,000. He was scheduled to arraigned in Bridgeport Superior Court later in the day.
Bridgeport police said that on Feb. 17, detectives went to St. Vincent's Hospital after receiving a report that a 55-year-old woman was "being treated for a violent sexual assault that occurred earlier that morning."
>>>Related: Fire Official Placed On Leave Amid Sexual Assault Allegations: PD
At about the same time, a woman went to fire headquarters to report the incident, for which she said her daughter was the victim, according to authorities.
"As a result of their criminal investigation, Detectives determined the victim was assaulted at a residence within the 300 block of Griffin Avenue. Detectives were also able to confirm 57-year-old Harold Clarke Sr. as a suspect in the assault."
That same day, Mayor Joseph Ganim, Fire Chief Lance Edwards and Acting Police Chief Rebeca Garcia held a news conference announcing the investigation into the incident, but they did not identify Clarke at that time (see the Facebook post below).
Clarke was placed on leave at the time.
"This is still an open and active investigation," said Scott Appleby, director of the city's Office of Emergency Management & Homeland Security/Emergency Communications, in a statement. "It is plausible that more arrest will be made."
Appleby declined to offer additional details.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.