Wheaton Hopes To Announce Return-To-Campus Classes Plans July 1

News

Norton MA

17 June, 2020

10:25 AM

Description

NORTON, MA — Wheaton College President Dennis Hanno said in a letter to the school community this week that a task force is working to finalize plans to bring students and faculty back to campus for the fall semester. The campus was closed three months ago due to the coronavirus health crisis with some staff and faculty returning to campus as part of a phased reopening on Monday. Hanno said he hopes to share the full plan for a "face-to-face fall semester here on campus" by July 1 after having met with Norton health officials on the desire to return last week. "The cooperation among colleges and other partners as we move toward having students back on campus has been incredible," Hanno said in the letter. "(Last) week alone, we had a major meeting with local public health officials to talk about how we can work together and I had a call today with a group of college presidents and Senator Elizabeth Warren to talk about how the federal government can support our efforts." While some employees returned this week to begin making "essential" preparations for the fall, most employees continue to work remotely. "We expect each of the three phases in our plan to last three to four weeks, enabling us to be ready to welcome returning students for the fall semester," Hanno said. Hanno said the 2020 commencement remains postponed, and will not be held on campus summer, but there are hopes to hold a celebration for the recently graduated seniors at a later time. "I know this is not what many had hoped for, including me, but I am very confident that we can create something in the near future that is very special and memorable for our amazing graduates," Hanno said.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area