North Andover To Continue Hybrid Learning Despite Merrimack Cases
News
North Andover MA
30 September, 2020
1:36 PM
Description
NORTH ANDOVER, MA — The coronavirus outbreak at Merrimack College will not result in changes to North Andover Public School's learning model, town and school officials said Tuesday. "Through contact tracing, which includes interviews completed with every positive case by our public health nurses, we have determined that the Merrimack cases are currently isolated," Health Director Brian LaGrasse said in a statement. "This is not considered a threat to the North Andover Public Schools." The town reported nearly 100 active coronavirus cases, Monday, and will likely be classified a red community in Wednesday's state update, town officials noted. But all but seven of those cases are at Merrimack College, which saw a significant outbreak last week at its Monican Hall dormitory. No community spread from the college has been reported in North Andover. "Based on the information available to the community and daily collaboration with town and state officials, the North Andover Public Schools will continue in the hybrid model," the release from town and school officials said. "The schools will continue to diligently review all available information and make informed decisions based on patterns and multiple data sources." The state has encouraged local officials to take more into account than the state's color codes for coronavirus risk. The origin of the uptick and the extent of community spread are also important metrics. "We will continue to monitor all positive cases and public health data to ensure that the cases remain isolated and our community is safe," LaGrasse said. "Through constant and comprehensive testing, this was caught early and Merrimack College has followed all the appropriate protocols and guidance." Christopher Huffaker can be reached at 412-265-8353 or [email protected].
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.