Description
SECAUCUS, NJ — As of Monday, March 30 the town of Secaucus is now at 50 positive cases of coronavirus. Sadly, there has been at least one death of a Secaucus town resident related to the virus, according to Secaucus Mayor Mike Gonnelli.
He could not provide details of that person's age or whether or not he or she had prior medical conditions.
The majority of the 50 Secaucus residents with the virus are recovering in their homes.
There have been several deaths from the virus at Hudson Regional, the hospital in town, said Gonnelli, although whether those patients were Secaucus residents is unknown.
The "pop-up" hospital at the Meadowlands Expo Center will NOT house covid-19/coronavirus patients. It will house all other sub-acute patients from area hospitals as the hospitals fill up with virus patients, according to Gonnelli. Last week, Patch incorrectly reported it was for covid-19 patients and we regret the error. The state Dept. of Health has not been entirely forthcoming with information.
According to Gonnelli, who toured the Meadowlands Expo Center today, they are aiming for an opening of Wednesday of this week, but it looks more like Monday of next week, April 6. As of Monday night, all of the area's hospitals — from Hudson Regional to Hackensack UMC regional trauma center — are at this time nearly filled to capacity with covid-19 patients, Gonnelli said Monday.
Expect the overflow to Meadowlands Expo Center to begin as shortly as possible. The Expo Center will be run by the state Dept. of Health (DOH) and FEMA. Army personnel were observed by Patch entering the facility Monday afternoon; you can see them walking up the steps above.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.