Description
PRINCETON, NJ — On Wednesday, Princeton Health Officer Jeff Grosser, reported 24 new COVID positive cases in the past seven days and said the new "surge" was linked to "innocuous gatherings" like playdates and indoor social events.
According to Princeton health officials, in the last 14-day period, the town has seen 41 cases - as many as June, July and August put together.
"This is the fall 'surge', second wave everyone spoke about - including us - over the summer months," Grosser said in a statement.
Based on data from the past 11-15 weeks, Gossar said the Health Department found cases stem from "public and private indoor social activities ranging from playdates for kids and other seemingly innocuous gatherings where people felt safe."
The latest infected individuals range in age from 4 to 72 years old.
"Now, with the arrival of cold weather, we are reminded that COVID-19 spreads most easily indoors, and can be transmitted by people showing little or no symptoms at all in as little as 10-15 minutes of close contact," he said.
The Princeton health Department had last week issued travel guidance for students planning on visiting home during Thanksgiving.
Read More Here: As COVID Cases Rise, Princeton Issues Student Travel Guidance
Meanwhile, Gov. Phil Murphy urged college students from New Jersey to test for COVID-19 before leaving for Thanksgiving break, and also asked them to quarantine before going home.
Read More Here: NJ To College Students: Test For COVID Before Thanksgiving
Thank you for reading. Have a correction or news tip? Email [email protected]
Get breaking news alerts on your phone with our app. Download here. Sign up to get Patch emails so you don't miss out on local and statewide news.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.