Edgewood Gunman Radee Prince Can't Plead Insanity: Report

News

Bel Air MD

02 November, 2020

12:59 PM

Description

BEL AIR, MD — A judge reportedly threw out the insanity defense in the 2017 case where a gunman shot and killed three people at his workplace in Edgewood and injured two others. Radee Prince, 40, of Elkton, opened fire with a semiautomatic handgun at the countertop business where he worked — Advanced Granite Solutions in Emmorton Business Park — shooting five co-workers in the head before 9 a.m. on Oct. 18, 2017, prosecutors said. Those killed were identified as Bayarsaikhan Tudev, 53, of Arlington, Virginia; Jose "Oscar" Hidalgo Romero, 34, of Aberdeen; and Enis Mrvoljak, 48, of Dundalk. Two others who were shot survived — Enoc Villegas Sosa of North East and Jose Roberto Flores Gillen of Edgewood. A jury found him guilty of three counts of first-degree murder, two counts of attempted first-degree murder, using a firearm in a felony crime and illegal use of a firearm. Prince admitted in court last week that he shot his co-workers, according to WBAL. Jurors determined Monday he could be held criminally responsible because he was able to understand the consequences of his actions and could conform to the law, The Aegis reported. A date has not yet been set for sentencing. Harford County prosecutors say they are seeking five life sentences without the possibility of parole. "These acts of senseless violence have scarred this community forever," Harford County State's Attorney Albert J. Peisinger said in a statement. "My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and I hope this verdict will be the first step in closing this tragic chapter." After the deadly shootings in Edgewood, Prince was apprehended in Delaware following a manhunt that lasted hours. He was taken into custody by federal agents and local officers at 7:30 p.m. on Oct. 18, 2017, after shooting and injuring a sixth person in Wilmington, Delaware. He was tried in Delaware first, despite facing three murder charges in Maryland, because there was a possibility he could have been sentenced there to life without parole. A Delaware jury found Prince found guilty of attempted manslaughter in May 2018, and he was sentenced to 40 years in prison. See Also: Jury Reaches Verdict In Edgewood Mass Shooting Trial: ReportAdvanced Granite Solutions Shooting Trial: Competency In QuestionJury Selection Begins In Edgewood Mass Shooting Trial

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area