Description
MAHWAH, NJ — A Monday letter from the Mahwah Public Schools administrative team articulates a bleak turn of events in two short weeks in the township's public schools.
"Currently, in every school, we have staff and students who are in a mandated quarantine and this was NOT our reality two weeks ago," read the letter.
According to the letter, internal data shows more staff and students are having contact outside of school buildings, requiring them to quarantine after a fellow student or staff member tests positive.
This comes, despite, the district said, the schools only experience isolated cases that have yet to cause an outbreak.
Decisions will be made with these factors in mind, however.
In a letter last week, the Mahwah Board of Education announced they'll consider closing schools prior to the November and December holidays, in anticipation of close contact and travel as coronavirus cases spike in New Jersey.
READ MORE: Mahwah Schools 'Considering' Pre-Holiday Closure: District
Decisions made by state officials may also impact some happenings in the district.
According to the letter, per Gov. Phil Murphy's newest indoor and outdoor gathering restrictions, the district said spectators at school-sponsored sporting events will be impacted, and it's possible Board of Education meetings will also have to pivot.
READ MORE: Gov. Murphy: NJ To Lower Gathering Limits Amid Coronavirus Spikes
The district said a decision in future actions will be determined through collaboration with local medical experts after a review of local, county and state data.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.