Description
GREENWICH, CT — Central Middle School students and staff were welcomed with open arms to other schools around the district on Monday.
CMS was closed last Friday due to safety concerns over the building. On Monday, students and staff gathered at CMS before boarding buses other schools around town. Sixth grade students went to Cos Cob School, seventh grade headed to Eastern Middle School and eighth grade students went to Greenwich High School.
Temporary learning spaces include classrooms, cafeterias, gymnasiums and auditoriums.
At Cos Cob, students participated in a fun dancing activity to break-in their new learning space. At EMS, according to a tweet from EMS assistant principal Anthony Duncan, a sign reading "Welcome Central Middle School Teachers And Students" with balloons was hung up for all to see.
AVID Site Coordinator at CMS Maria Jukic used the hashtag #StrongerTogether in a tweet with photos of students and teachers at Cos Cob School.
District spokesperson Jonathan Supronowitz said the move went "relatively smooth" on Monday.
The school district said over the weekend it remains optimistic that engineers' solutions and safety precautions will allow the town of Greenwich Division of Building Inspection to provide a safety clearance for everyone to return to CMS following winter recess on Feb. 22.
Last week, the district released a systems evaluation report which stated there are "significant structural concerns" with the school, which was originally built in 1958.
On Feb. 4, the district's director of facilities, along with officials from the town of Greenwich division of building inspection, went on a tour of CMS Friday to review results from the report. They made the decision to close the building, effective immediately.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.