A Not-So-Merry Live Show Season

News

Miami FL

22 December, 2021

5:00 PM

Description

By Bianca Marcof, Miami Times Staff Writer, the Miami Times Dec 21, 2021 The show must go on … until positive cases of COVID-19 are found among touring artists and their circles. Miami New Drama put performances of "A Wonderful World" on hold Dec. 21, with an anticipated return on Dec. 29. With the rapid-spreading omicron emerging as the dominant variant of the latest surge in the pandemic, the entertainment industry is once again seeing a sudden wave of live shows being called off ahead of the holidays. Miami New Drama at the Colony Theater became the first local company to fold on Tuesday after COVID cases were discovered, canceling performances of "A Wonderful World" through Dec. 28. The domino effect began with a major South Florida concert taking a hit last weekend, when the state reported a total of 18,404 cases over the course of those two days, according to data posted Monday by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The annual Y100 Jingle Ball was canceled hours before it was set to begin Sunday night. Saweetie performs at 102.7 KIIS FM's iHeartRadio Jingle Ball in Los Angeles Dec. 3. (/Skyler Barberio for iHeartRadio/iHeartRadio via Twitter) "Due to the increased transmission of the new COVID-19 variant and to further minimize any potential risks, as a precautionary measure and for the safety of our staff, talent and guests, we have made the decision to cancel tonight's iHeartRadio Y100 Jingle Ball," iHeartRadio announced in a statement. The Jingle Ball tour, which kicked off in Texas last month, was scheduled for its last stop in Sunrise at the FLA Live Arena – a venue where strict COVID-19 protocols were set in place for audiences, including proof of full vaccination or a negative test within 72 hours of entry. Tai Verdes at Z100's iHeartRadio Jingle Ball in New York, which took place the weekend before the tour was set to wrap up in Miami. (Rob Berry for iHeartRadio/iHeartRadio via Twitter) Attendees were expecting to see Megan Thee Stallion, the Black Eyed Peas, Saweetie, Tai Verdes, Tate McRae, Monsta X, Bazzi, Anitta, Sean Paul and Dixie D'Amelio rock the Florida Panthers stage. But days before the concert, several artists began pulling out of the tour after members of their teams were exposed to COVID-19. In fact, the three headliners for the Power 96.1 Atlanta Jingle Ball – Doja Cat, Megan Thee Stallion and the Jonas Brothers – did not perform at the show just three days prior to its Miami stop The Miami Times was originally invited backstage to photograph and interview the acts on the red carpet until that was canceled Friday for the "safety of talent, staff and other working personnel, as an extra precautionary measure and to further minimize onsite access backstage," an email sent to media read. iHeartRadio declined an interview when asked, citing that nothing additional could be said aside from what had already been shared in the statement. Another concert originally scheduled for Dec. 30 in South Beach's Lummus Park was also called off by organizers Monday morning. As Capital One cardholders eagerly logged on to Ticketmaster to check out their free tickets for the pre-Orange Bowl Beach Bash featuring Harry Styles and Khalid, the news came in. "Due to increasing logistical and production challenges related to the pandemic and after consultation with the artists and their production teams, we have jointly made the difficult decision to cancel the Capital One Beach Bash," the Orange Bowl Committee said in a statement posted on its website. Attendees of that show would have also been required to provide proof of vaccination or negative COVID test results from within 72 hours. Live Nation Florida did not respond to a request for comment on what becomes of live events from here on out. Ticketmaster is a Live Nation Entertainment, Inc. company. But while the concert has been canceled, the playoff semifinal football game between Georgia and Michigan will still take place at Hard Rock Stadium – for now – as omicron is also upending the world of professional sports. The NHL has decided to pause its 2021-22 season beginning Wednesday, with team facilities reopening Dec. 26. The NBA and NFL have also postponed a number of games due to rising positive cases among teams and staff in recent weeks. New York's Radio City Rockettes canceled all remaining "Christmas Spectacular" shows for the 2021 season. (Rockettes.com) New York is facing similar closures, highlighted by more than 21,000 new infections reported in a single day, as outbreaks sweep through cast and crew members. Over the weekend, "Saturday Night Live" announced that it would not have an in-person audience or musical guest during production for its final 2021 show, several of Broadway's biggest shows like "Hamilton" and "Jagged Little Pill" have canceled performances until after Christmas or for good, and Radio City Music Hall's Rockettes won't be high-kicking in their "Christmas Spectacular" for the rest of the year. It's a scene eerily similar to the start of 2020. So are shows preparing for a full shutdown or will productions close and reopen as needed? Not every local concert has been affected. Two-day music festival Vibra Urbana took place last weekend as planned at the Miami-Dade County Fair & Expo with a stacked lineup of more than 40 reggaeton artists, and the Adrienne Arsht Center is continuing with business as usual after kicking off its 15-year anniversary in October by announcing more than 100 shows and events through 2022. The Adrienne Arsht Center returned to live shows this year after announcing more than 100 shows and events for its 15th anniversary season, like "The Hip Hop Nutcracker." (Courtesy of the Adrienne Arsht Center) The performing arts center implements safety protocols to provide a safe environment, such as requiring guests aged 2 and up to wear masks and asking for proof of a recent negative COVID-19 test or full vaccination for entry. Although The Miami Times requested a phone interview, the venue said it could only provide a written statement by our print deadline. In that statement, Arsht Center President and CEO Johann Zietsman wrote that visiting artists and productions, as well as all individuals working backstage, are required to follow the same protocol as guests – negative test results or vaccination. "We are closely monitoring the health of our community and will continue to make decisions based on guidance from national and local health officials as well as the Arsht Center's medical advisor from Florida International University Academy Health System," the email reads. "We also continue to maintain enhanced cleaning, sanitation and air filtration procedures. Anyone feeling ill is strongly encouraged to stay home and contact the box office immediately to discuss options." Upcoming performances at the Arsht include Miami City Ballet's "The Nutcracker" – running now through Dec. 26 – the Peter London Global Dance Company's "Touch" and "Rain On Me" from Dec. 28-31, and "Hairspray" from Dec. 28-Jan. 2. If there are any changes to performances or entry policy, Zietsman added that ticketholders will be notified directly. The Miami Times is the largest Black-owned newspaper in the south serving Miami's Black community since 1923. The award-winning weekly is frequently recognized as the best Black newspaper in the country by the National Newspaper Publishers Association.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area