NHL Shuts Down Red Wings Due To COVID-19 Concerns

News

Detroit MI

20 December, 2021

10:29 AM

Description

DETROIT — The NHL has shut down the Detroit Red Wings through at least Dec. 26 due to several positive COVID-19 cases, the league announced Sunday. The league said it made its decision "due to concern with the number of positive cases within the last several days, as well continued COVID spread" in the Red Wings organization. Red Wings forwards Sam Gagner, Pius Suter and Joe Veleno and assistant video coach Jeff Weintraub entered the COVID-19 protocol Sunday. They joined coach Jeff Blashill, assistant coach Alex Tanguay, forwards Carter Rowney, Givani Smith, Filip Zadina, Michael Rasmussen and Robby Fabbri in the COVID-19 protocol Sunday. The shutdown only affects one game, which was scheduled for Thursday against the Minnesota Wild. A makeup date has not yet been announced. Monday's game against the Colorado Avalanche was already previously postponed due to the Avalanche's own COVID-19 issues. The Red Wings and Avalanche join the Boston Bruins, Nashville Predators, Florida Panthers, Calgary Flames, Toronto Maple Leafs and Vancouver Canucks in having to stop play this week. The league said it will decide in the coming days when the Red Wings can reopen their training facilities. The Red Wings' next scheduled game is against the New York Rangers on Dec. 27. As of Monday, that game is expected to be played at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area