TikTok Violence Challenge: District 113, Police Aware
News
Deerfield IL
16 December, 2021
5:57 PM
Description
DEERFIELD, IL — While aware of a national TikTok challenge encouraging students to threaten gun violence and bombings at their schools on Friday, Dec. 17, Township High School District 113 officials tell Patch that there have been no direct threats to local schools. "We received notice last night from the Statewide Terrorism and Intelligence Center about the threat circulating on TikTok," Superintendent Dr. Bruce Law said. "We are aware of it and police departments in our communities are aware of it, which I know because we are in communication with them." Patch has also reached out to the Deerfield Police Department. Nationwide, some districts say they have been "inundated" with questions about the social media school violence rumors and have responded in letters to parents and public statements in the days leading up to Friday. RELATED: TikTok December 17 Challenge Has Police, Schools On High Alert "Parents need to be involved in their children's activities and lives and to let law enforcement or the school know if they see or hear anything that concerns them," Law said. "It is especially important that students remain vigilant in their social media and while at school and report anything they see or hear that concerns them." While it's unclear where the rumor regarding Friday originated, a news release issued by the Tooele County School District in Utah said the original threat started as a way for students to skip school, but "morphed into something much more disturbing." Earlier this week, a Glenbrook South student posted a threat of violence on social media. The student made two social media posts, one in which he appears to be holding a handgun, and a second in which he told students to go home. No criminal charges were filed against the student for either post, and there is no credible threat toward GBS staff or students at this time, police said Tuesday. The student, who was actually holding a CO2 BB-style gun, didn't make any direct threats toward staff or students in the first social media post, according to police. A secondary post, believed to be from the same student, said students "should leave school, go home, and eat." Police also said there were no direct threats made toward GBS staff or students in the second post. RELATED: Student Holding 'Handgun' On Social Media Not A Threat In September, another TikTok challenge called "Devious Licks" encouraged raucous acts of vandalism at schools nationwide. To participate in the challenge, students and TikTok users shattered mirrors, stole soap dispensers, fire alarms and football field turf, and intentionally clogged toilets, all while filming the antics to post on TikTok. "Time and again, students or staff see or hear things that should be given to school administration," Law said. "In District 113, we follow up immediately on any information we receive and take whatever steps are required to keep schools safe."
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.