Blackhawks Reach Confidential Settlement With Former Prospect

News

Chicago IL

15 December, 2021

7:50 PM

Description

CHICAGO — More than six months after former Chicago Blackhawks prospect Kyle Beach sued the franchise over allegations that he was sexually assaulted by a former team video coach, the two sides have settled out of court. In a joint statement issued by Blackhawks Chairman Rocky Wirtz and CEO Danny Wirtz along with Beach's attorney, the two parties said that a mediation session on Wednesday resulted in a confidential settlement with Beach. Beach came forward in October after previously being identified as John Doe 1 in a lawsuit that alleged that Beach was sexually assaulted by former Hawks video coach Brad Aldrich in 2010. The assault reportedly took place after Beach was called up by the Hawks to serve as a Black Ace, an emergency player who trained with the Hawks during the 2010 Stanley Cup playoffs. An independent investigation earlier this year determined that several key members of the Hawks organization, including former President John McDonough, general manager Stan Bowman and coach Joel Quenneville were made aware of the allegations but chose to do nothing until after the Hawks had captured the Stanley Cup. Bowman resigned from his post after the release of a 108-page report by Chicago law firm Jenner & Block and Quenneville stepped down a coach of the Florida Panthers thereafter. Wednesday's mediation session came less than a month after the Blackhawks and Susan Loggans, the attorney for Beach, agreed to allow a third-party mediator hear the case to avoid litigation. Loggans previously told Patch that efforts to settle the case without mediation had gone nowhere because of the team's lack of willingness to offer anything meaningful. The Hawks, who are also being sued by a former Michigan high school hockey player who said he was sexually assaulted by Aldrich, are scheduled for settlement negotiations with that individual on Dec. 20. Aldrich served jail time for sexual assault against the former high school player and is now a registered sex offender in Michigan. "The Blackhawks hope that this resolution will bring a measure of peace and closure for Mr. Beach," the statement said. "As for the Blackhawks organization, we remain steadfast in our commitment to ensure that, moving forward, this team will be a beacon of professionalism, respect and integrity in our community. "We remain grateful for the trust and support of the Blackhawks community and we promise to continue working every day to earn and maintain that trust."

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area