Description
TUSCALOOSA, AL — The Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT) says a $33.91 million road improvement project along McFarland Boulevard from Highway 69 to Rice Mine Road is set to begin this week.
Click here to subscribe to our free Tuscaloosa Daily newsletter and breaking news alerts
Covered under the Rebuild Alabama Act, the 2.77-mile project will add a travel lane in each direction, provide better access management, improve traffic flow, reduce congestion to businesses and add a shared-use path for bicyclists and pedestrians.
The project will be handled by Tuscaloosa-based Ikaros, LLC.
According to ALDOT, the latest traffic counts showed more than 50,000 trips made each day on this stretch of McFarland Boulevard.
Work is slated to continue until Summer 2024.
ALDOT previously pointed out that at least two lanes will be open at all times in each direction as the project move forward.
However, in an effort to better accommodate traffic, roadway closures will not be allowed from Thursday evening through Sunday evening when the University of Alabama has a home football game in the coming year.
ALDOT says the contractor expects to start work in the median near Hunter Creek Road.
Have a news tip or suggestion on how I can improve Tuscaloosa Patch? Maybe you're interested in having your business become one of the latest sponsors for Tuscaloosa Patch? Email all inquiries to me at [email protected].
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.