Description
BOSTON, MA — One of the nation's most wanted fugitives has been identified as a Massachusetts man 52 years after he pulled off one of the biggest bank robberies in Cleveland, Ohio history.
The U.S. Marshals Service said Friday that they have finally solved the mystery of what happened to Theodore John Conrad, who is accused of robbing the Society National Bank on July 11, 1969 when he was 20 years old.
Conrad worked at the bank as a teller, and on the day of the robbery, he walked out at the end of the day with $215,000 in a paper bag and disappeared.
It wasn't until the following Monday morning when Conrad did not report to work that the bank checked their vault and found the missing money. By then, he had a two-day head start on law enforcement.
Over the past five decades, the Conrad case has stumped many investigators across the country and been featured on America's Most Wanted and Unsolved Mysteries. It remained a cold case until this past week, when United States Marshals from Cleveland travel to Boston and positively identified a Lynnfield man living under the name of Thomas Randele as Conrad.
Conrad had been living in Massachusetts under the false name since 1970, said investigators. He died of lung cancer in May 2021 at age 71.
Investigators said they were able to identify Conrad by matching documents he signed in the 1960s with documents Randele completed, including court paperwork from a 2014 bankruptcy case, which ultimately helped them determine that the two men were the same person.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.