Description
WAKEFIELD, MA — Broadway Crossing will reopen next week absent the constant train horns that threw residents into a frenzy last month.
Town Engineer Bill Renault told Town Council Thursday Wakefield's application finally received approval from the Federal Railroad Administration, believed to be the last step in what has been a more than yearlong nightmare.
Broadway Crossing will open Oct. 29, and the town's will retain its pre-rule quiet zone status it enjoyed before the crossing was initially closed last fall.
The town is taking steps to make sure it never again finds itself at the mercy of the FRA, asking Town Meeting on Nov. 6 for funding (along with potential grant funding) to further enhance the safety of Wakefield's crossings.
"Though not required for this October 29 reopening, the improvements will ensure that Wakefield's risk index remains at an appropriate level and no issues arise during regularly scheduled safety reviews," the town said.
Town Council had voted in September to reopen Broadway Crossing after a year of it being closed, causing logistical nightmares for many. But councilors and officials underestimated the impact constant horn-blaring across the town would have on residents. Eight days after voting to reopen Broadway — and under immense public pressure — Town Council voted to once again close it.
Related: Wakefield Train Situation A Big Beepin' Mess
Mike Carraggi can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @PatchCarraggi. Subscribe to Wakefield Patch for free local news and alerts and like us on Facebook.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.