17 Charged In Massive RI Drug Ring, 'Operation Rhode Runner'
News
East Providence RI
17 September, 2021
12:11 PM
Description
PROVIDENCE, RI — Seventeen people, including more than a dozen with previous violent crime convictions, were charged in federal court after prosecutors said they were part of a massive drug trafficking ring in Providence and other parts of Rhode Island. Prosecutors said the charges came after a five-month joint investigation conducted by the FBI, DEA and Providence police. On Thursday, 250 members of federal, state, and local law enforcement executed arrest warrants for 16 of the people charged. A 17th person was arrested and charged following a federal criminal, complaint, prosecutors said. At least nine of the defendants are currently on probation in Rhode Island. Defendants include: Victor Aponte Cirino, 22, of Taunton, MassachusettsRamon Barriera, 50, of ProvidenceMiguel Colon, 35, of ProvidenceRafael Cruz, 72, o ProvidenceJuan Gonzalez, 44, of ProvidenceNelson Hazin, 53, of ProvidenceAnthony Lacoste, 30, of Woonsocket Jonathan Masa Gonzalez, 21, of ProvidenceRicardo Martinez, Jr., 34, of ProvidenceWilliam Mendez, 46, of CranstonMaria Ortiz-Nieves, 40, of ProvidenceKevin Restrepo, 30, of Providence, and Kissimmee, FloridaKarla Rivera Rosa, 31, of Fall River, MassachusettsFelix Robles, 60, of ProvidenceJuan C. Rodriguez, 35, of ProvidenceCharles Sims, 57, of ProvidenceJuan Betancourt Sosa, 26, of New Bedford, MassachusettsDuring the arrests, police seized more than three kilos of cocaine, 750 grams of fentanyl, 1,500 fentanyl pills disguised as Percocet, 500 grams of crack cocaine, and $100,000 in cash, according to prosecutors. "The U.S. Attorney's Office is committed to using all of the tools available to reduce violent crime and make our streets safer," acting U.S. Attorney Richard Myrus said in a statement. "The illegal narcotics trade drives violence; thanks to this investigation a drug trafficking conspiracy has been dismantled, and defendants who have been previously convicted of numerous violent crimes are again in custody. We truly appreciate the tireless work of the FBI task force, the DEA, the Providence Police, and all of our other law enforcement partners, which culminated in today's flawlessly executed operation." The cases are being prosecuted by Assistant U.S. Attorney Stacey P. Veroni, with the assistance of Assistant U.S. Attorneys Christine D. Lowell and Sandra R. Hebert.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.