De'Ondre White Indicted In Connection With Austin Mass Shooting

News

Austin TX

31 August, 2021

4:16 PM

Description

AUSTIN, TX — The 19-year-old man who was arrested in June in connection with the mass shooting in the city's Sixth Street district was indicted on Monday and faces 14 counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon as well as murder. A Travis County grand jury indicted De'Ondre White with murder on Monday after he had been held in custody on a $1 million bond. White has been held as a suspect since the June 12 shooting, which took place at 1:30 a.m. and a Michigan man, Douglas Kantor, died from injuries he sustained in the shooting. Officials with the Travis County District Attorney's Office said Monday White's case is pending in the 450th Judicial District Court and will be prosecuted by the Office's Homicide and Major Crimes Unit. The Homicide and Major Crimes Unit, created earlier this year, is a division of the Travis County District Attorney's office staffed by experienced prosecutors who are experts in the law, well-versed in forensics, and who have previously handled complicated cases. The unit was created to prioritize the prosecution of violent crimes that make our community less safe and has been tasked with the prosecution of this case, authorities said. According to published reports, Kantor's family said he died a day of the incident in which relatives said Kantor was shot through the abdomen. Travis County officials said they are still investigating the role of two other teens who were initially arrested in connection with the shooting but were later released. White was arrested by Killeen Police and U.S. Marshals on June 24 and the teenager was charged with murder. The incident, which took place just as clubs and other venues in the bustling downtown district was starting to open from coronavirus-related restrictions, reportedly involved two rival Killeen groups of teenagers that had a history of violence between them. "This case has deeply affected our community and our hearts continue to be with the family of Mr. Kantor, as well as all the victims of assault," said Efrain de la Fuente, Assistant Director for the office's Trial Division and Homicide and Major Crimes Unit. "We appreciate APD's work on the scene to render aid and transport people to hospitals, as well as the hard work and dedication from the detectives in this difficult and ongoing investigation." MORE COVERAGE ON 6TH STREET MASS SHOOTING: Accused 6th Street Shooter Arrested In Killeen: Police New Suspect At-Large In 6th Street Shooting: What To Know New Suspect Identified In 6th Street Mass Shooting

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area