Fired Philly Cop Seen Hitting Protester Recharged By DA's Office
News
Philadelphia PA
01 September, 2021
12:08 PM
Description
PHILADELPHIA — A fired Philadelphia Police inspector who had assault and related charges against him dropped earlier this year has been charged again in connection with the same June 2020 incident. The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office Tuesday said the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas on Tuesday approved the refiling of assault-related charges against former Philadelphia Police Staff Inspector Joseph Bologna, 55, following an incident that was captured in a viral video in summer 2020. Bologna was initially charged with simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, and possessing an instrument of crime. Then in January this year Judge Henry Lewandowski ruled not enough evidence was presented to proceed with charges against Bologna, a 30-year veteran of the department. But the court Tuesday approved refiled charges of simple assault and possession of an instrument of crime against Bologna. Bologna, who been involved in previous misconduct and corruption scandals was captured on camera striking Temple University student Evan Gorski, then 21 years old, in the back of his head on the Ben Franklin Parkway during George Floyd protests on June 1, 2020. Philly police attempt to disperse crowd after hundreds mased/gassed on Parkway. This was @ 5:30 as curfew nears. Dude w/ white shirt provokes scuffle, shoves baton into civilian's throat. #phillyprotest #blacklivesmatter #GeorgeFloydprotests #protests2020 pic.twitter.com/XDKOMbr0Sr— Peopledelphia (@Peopledelphia) June 1, 2020 The video shows Bologna using a collapsible metal police baton to strike Gorski. The DA's office said Gorksi needed about 10 staples and about 10 sutures on his head following the incident.Gorski was arrested by Philadelphia Police on the scene and was detained for more than 24 hours and was referred to the District Attorney's Office for prosecution, the DA's office said. However, Krasner decided not to charge Gorski based on review of videos taken during the incident. "The people demand accountability from powerful institutions, and that means the law must apply equally to all. My office seeks every day to hold those who cause harm accountable in a fair and evenhanded way, regardless of the office they hold or the badge they wear," District Attorney Larry Krasner said. "We respectfully disagree with the court's decision to dismiss the felony Aggravated Assault charge, given the seriousness of the head injury suffered by the victim, which required multiple stitches and staples. Because a just resolution of this matter is of great public interest and importance, we will be reviewing our options for the best course forward as prosecutors on behalf of the Commonwealth." The DA's Special Investigations Unit is prosecuting the case. Members of the public can report criminal incidents or possible official misconduct directly to the unit by calling 215-686-9608 or emailing [email protected]. Bologna's trial is scheduled for March 15, 2022.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.