Burr Ridge Mayor Clears Restaurant In Incident
News
Burr Ridge IL
31 August, 2021
4:43 PM
Description
BURR RIDGE, IL — Burr Ridge Mayor Gary Grasso said Tuesday that a co-owner of a local restaurant was not involved in a largely undefined incident earlier this month at County Line Square. In a statement, he referred to "Mr. Salamone" at Capri Express. He was believed to be referring to Phil Salamone, one of the co-owners. Earlier in August, Trustee Guy Franzese persuaded the Village Board to delay a request for an awning at Capri Express, saying he wanted a report on an incident that he said involved Capri Express and an unidentified business. The incident occurred Aug. 5, involving Zach Mottl, a former village trustee. On Tuesday, Grasso responded to a Patch inquiry regarding Capri Express' role in the incident. "It appears at approximately 10:30 a.m., Mr. Salamone was in the parking lot near Capri," the mayor said in a text message. "He was reportedly observed using his cell phone to videotape something. About 11:15, Mr. Mottl arrived in the parking lot of Capri. Mr. Salamone claims he did not contact Mr. Mottl. The Village has taken Mr. Salamone at his word." In earlier interviews, Mottl said he showed up with a police officer to pinpoint what he considered were code violations with a renovation at County Line Square. He said Capri Express and its owners were not involved at all. Told about Grasso's latest statement Tuesday, Mottl said he didn't understand how the village could have drawn Capri Express and Phil Salamone into the issue. "What does it have to do with anything? He rents space there. It's a public town square. Should we leave our cellphones at the entrance before we come in?" Mottl said in an interview. "It's still a free country. He is a friend of mine. I love the food at his place." Mottl, who lost to Grasso in the 2019 mayoral race, said it appeared as if the mayor were targeting those who are friendly to him. "He wants to find anybody I talk to," Mottl said. "It's absolutely inappropriate. I don't know how Salamone got roped into this." During the incident in question, Mottl said he was showing an officer how he believed the renovation for the planned Are We Live lounge in County Square was extending into another space, which he said was a violation of the lounge's permit. While there, Are We Live owner Filippo "Gigi" Rovito showed up. The police have twice declined to provide Patch the police report because the matter remained under investigation. On Tuesday, though, Police Chief John Madden said the report is now available upon a public records request. Patch filed a request. Franzese and Rovito have not returned messages for comment. In the April election, Grasso-endorsed candidates defeated Mottl.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.