Providence Cancels PVDFest Amid Rising Coronavirus Cases

News

Providence RI

20 August, 2021

3:44 PM

Description

PROVIDENCE, RI — The annual PVDFest in downtown Providence has been canceled amid rising COVIF-19 cases, Mayor Jorge Elorza said Friday. The festival, which has featured over 5,000 performers, artists and curators since its inception in 2015, was originally scheduled for Sept. 25 and 26 before its cancellation. "I am sorry to announce that after carefully considering the increased spread of the delta variant, we will forego this year's downtown PVDFest gathering," Elorza said in a statement. "I want to take this opportunity to thank our artists, sponsors and partners who have made PVDFest Happenings a resounding success so far, and encourage all unvaccinated residents to get their vaccine. Together we can beat this virus and return to dancing and celebrating together downtown next year." City officials said smaller PVDFest Happenings events will continue in outdoor settings over the summer and fall as scheduled. Face coverings are strongly recommended, and masks and hand sanitizer will be available at all events. "While we must cancel this year's signature weekend, we remain more committed than ever to bringing joy to public spaces through the arts," said Stephanie Fortunato, the Providence Director of Art, Culture and Tourism. "Our vision is for all residents and visitors to feel a continuous relationship to arts practice, making, and culture year-round." This was the second straight year, PVDFest had to be canceled because of the coronavirus pandemic. For more information on smaller outdoor Happenings can be found at the festival's website.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area