Description
ELMHURST, IL — The big news earlier this summer was that Elmhurst's Rock the Block would return in September after it was canceled the previous year because of the pandemic.
Now, this year's festivities are going the way of 2020's.
"We got notification that Rock the Block has been canceled by City Centre," Mayor Scott Levin said at Monday's City Council meeting. "A lot of logistics problems. Not just crowds, but participation by restaurants and whether they would be able to do it in this environment."
The city likely just received the notification. Neither City Centre's website nor Facebook page contain information about the cancellation. In fact, the website still says Rock the Block is "baaaaack!!!" and includes the lineup of activities. The event had been set for Sept. 10 and 11.
City Centre could not be reached for immediate comment.
Earlier this summer, City Centre promised on its Facebook page that Rock the Block attendees would "be dancing in the street with something cold in your hand!" At the same time, it said it would do away with food tents and the family fun area because of the need for increased space and social distancing.
At the council meeting, Levin sounded a positive note about other activities.
"We're looking forward to other events proceeding," he said. "We've been in communication with the Turkey Trot, and we see no reason why that wouldn't go forward. We'll just continue to monitor the situation."
The Dan Gibbons Turkey Trot, a 5K fun run, is set for Thanksgiving Day.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.