Description
STAMFORD, CT — The 19-year-old Guilford man accused of attempted murder in Westport last year will undergo another court-ordered competency evaluation in the near future, according to a Stamford Superior Court spokesperson.
Ellis Tibere will undergo the evaluation at the Whiting Forensic Hospital in Middletown over a 60-day period.
During a court hearing Thursday, Tibere was found to be temporarily not competent to stand trial, but a state social worker told the court that he could be restored to competency with treatment, reported the Connecticut Post.
Tibere spent time at Whiting last year when he was evaluated, and he was found to be competent to stand trial.
His parents, Denise Paley and Eric Tibere, told Patch earlier this year that their son is mentally ill.
Tibere is accused of stabbing a Greenwich woman multiple times in the leg during a January 2020 attack in a parking lot on the Post Road East in Westport. The victim survived, but she suffered serious injuries to her leg, according to her attorney, Eugene Riccio.
Police arrested Tibere soon after the incident, but according to a state prosecutor, he contemplated killing someone years before the 2020 crime.
Tibere is being held at the Manson Youth Institution in Cheshire and will be transfered to Whiting. Patch reached out to his attorney, John Gulash, for comment but did not receive a reply.
Tibere's next scheduled court date is Oct. 7.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.