County Line Square Incident Under Investigation: Burr Ridge Cops
News
Burr Ridge IL
11 August, 2021
5:33 PM
Description
BURR RIDGE, IL — Some type of incident that involved high-profile Burr Ridge figures may have occurred last week at County Line Square, but officials have been largely silent about it. At Monday's Village Board meeting, Trustee Guy Franzese cited the incident in persuading colleagues to delay final consideration of a request for an awning by Capri Express, which is in County Line Square. He said he wanted a report on the incident before the board took action on the awning. Franzese said the incident involved Capri Express and some other business, but he provided no other details. During the meeting, Patch filed a public records request for the police report on the incident. On Wednesday, Deputy Police Chief Marc Loftus denied the request. He cited the exception under the state's open records law that allows denials when cases are pending further investigation. In an interview Tuesday, Phil Salamone, co-owner of Capri Express, said he did not know about any incident involving him or his restaurant last week. "Our guess is as good as yours," Salamone told Patch. "I'm not sure what they're talking about. If there is an incident and there is something wrong that I did, please let me know and I would be happy to address the issue." In messages to Patch last week, former Trustee Zach Mottl said he brought a complaint to Village Hall alleging renovations for the planned Are We Live lounge at County Line Square were extending into space next door. He suggested that was a violation of the Village Board's approval of the lounge. He later went to County Line Square to show village officials what he was talking about. By Mottl's account, his visit there involved Filippo "Gigi" Rovito, owner of Are We Live and Capri Ristorante, which is in the same shopping center. Also there were at least one police officer and interim Village Administrator Evan Walter, Mottl said. The day after the Village Board meeting, Patch asked Mottl whether anyone from Capri Express was involved in the encounter. He said no one from the restaurant was. It's unclear whether Franzese was referring to that incident or some other one. He has not returned messages for comment. Rovito and Mayor Gary Grasso, who has connections to Rovito, couldn't be reached for comment Wednesday. Mottl and Grasso are political rivals. Mottl lost his re-election in April.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.