COVID Shut Down Extended At Mecklenburg County Courthouse
News
Charlotte NC
11 August, 2021
1:58 PM
Description
MECKLENBURG COUNTY, NC — A two-day shut down of court proceedings at the Mecklenburg County Courthouse has been extended through at least Friday due to a COVID-19 outbreak among court employees that left dozens in quarantine, the 26th Judicial District of North Carolina announced. The temporary closure, which is expected to last through at least Friday, Aug. 13, includes all sessions of district and superior court with limited exceptions. "The full extent of the COVID-19 outbreak is still being assessed by the Key Court Officials and Mecklenburg County Public Health, the Mecklenburg County Public Health advised the Key Court Officials that the continued cancellation of court proceedings and closure of the Mecklenburg County Courthouse were necessary to prevent or slow the spread of COVID-19 among court personnel and members of the public," North Carolina Judicial Branch said in a statement. SEE ALSO: COVID Outbreak Temporarily Shuts Down Mecklenburg Courthouse The decision to close down court proceedings was made Sunday after five courthouse employees tested positive for COVID-19 over the weekend. At least 29 employees have been told to quarantine, and "a number of others have reported symptoms of COVID-19 and are awaiting test results," according to court officials. SEE ALSO: Mecklenburg County Workers Now Required To Wear Masks Indoors Here's a rundown of court activities during the courthouse closure, according to the 26th Judicial District of NC: All persons seeking to file legal documents on Aug. 11-13, 2021 may use the secure receptacle designated by the Mecklenburg County Clerk of Superior Court or submit their filings by mail. The Clerk of Superior Court's Cashier's Office on the first floor of the Mecklenburg County Courthouse will be open from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. to receive payments. Jurors currently serving on a trial should report to the Mecklenburg County Courthouse as scheduled on Aug.11, 2021. All new jurors summoned for Aug. 11-13, 2021 have been excused from jury service, and should not report. First appearance hearings will be heard remotely via WebEx in Courtroom 4150 Felony probation cause hearings will be heard as scheduled in Superior Court All secured custody hearings scheduled will be heard remotely via WebEx using the link for Courtroom 8390 Ex parte requests for temporary domestic violence protective orders, and motions for non-secure custody of a juvenile should be made before a district court judge assigned to the Public Window at the Mecklenburg County Magistrate's Office. Motions for temporary injunctive relief should be brought to Courtroom 4110. Non-Secure Custody hearings will be heard via WebEx by the assigned judge as previously scheduled. Civil Involuntary Commitment hearings before the District Court will be heard via WebEx as previously scheduled. Motions for Non-Secure Custody of a juvenile should be brought to the Public Window of the Mecklenburg County Magistrate's Office. SEE ALSO: Sick, Dying Songbirds Reported In North Carolina: Here's Why15 Charlotte Area Restaurants Earn 2021 Wine Spectator AwardsNC Hospitals Report Record-Breaking Spike In COVID ICU PatientsLGBTQ Nondiscrimination Protections Affirmed By Vote In CharlotteSnow Ahead? Here's Farmers' Almanac's Winter Prediction For NC
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.