Ocean Water Use Warning In Effect For Santa Monica State Beach
News
Santa Monica CA
06 August, 2021
10:09 AM
Description
SANTA MONICA, CA — An overwhelming amount — 17-million gallons of untreated sewage — spilled into the Pacific Ocean last month, prompting health officials Friday to update and warn swimmers and surfers about bacteria levels exceeding state standards in the ocean. The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health issued an updated warning Thursday night for the following beaches and areas: Inner Cabrillo Beach in San PedroMother's Beach in Marina del ReySanta Monica Pier in Santa Monica Warnings have been lifted for the following beach areas where recent sample results identified water quality levels within state standards: Malibu Lagoon at Surfrider BeachThe Bel Air Bay Club at Will Rogers State Beach A power outage July 11 at the Hyperion Treatment Plant spurred a 17-million-gallon sewage spill in the Santa Monica Bay. Beaches from El Segundo to the Dockweiler RV Park in L.A. County were closed, then reopened. In the last week, warnings were issued for multiple beaches north of the spill, including Marina del Rey, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades and Malibu. Rep. Ted Lieu Tuesday called for an investigation by the Environmental Protection Agency and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. "Given the severity of recent incidents, the subsequent and continued discharge of untreated and partially treated wastewater near highly trafficked beaches, and the lack of clear communication by the city of Los Angeles, an investigation into the facility's operations, response, and environmental impact is warranted," Lieu, D-Torrance, wrote in a letter to EPA Administrator Michael S. Regan and NOAA Administrator Richard W. Spinard. "As the city of Los Angeles discharged this wastewater and facility operators attempted repairs, key local first responders and nearby cities were not immediately informed of the discharge in the nearby ocean," he said, adding that it may have violated a 2007 California law he authored to improve reporting of sewage spills. Councilman Paul Krekorian on the Energy, Climate Change, Environmental Justice, and River Committee Thursday blasted irresponsible members of the public for not properly disposing of trash and called for the city to come up with ways to prevent future incidents. "The source of this problem was not some failure by employees, it was not some failure of infrastructure, it was people doing stupid, irresponsible things. It was people doing irresponsible things and then expecting mommy-government to clean up after them," Krekorian said during the Los Angeles City Council's Energy, Climate Change, Environmental Justice, and River Committee meeting. Noting "litter in the streets, illegally dumped construction materials, things being flushed down the toilet that everybody knows shouldn't be flushed down the toilet," Krekorian called for the LASAN's investigation into the spill to include how to stop the public from doing "stupid things and then expecting government to fix it." "In a city of this size, we cannot have the taxpayers continue to invest billions of dollars in new infrastructure and then having that entire process be ruined by irresponsible people who are dumping things down manhole covers, dumping things in the street, dumping things down their toilets." Visit the county's website to learn more about beach conditions or call 1-800- 525-5662. - City News Service and Patch Editor Nicole Charky contributed to this report. SEE MORE: The Heartbreaking Reality Of Venice's Homeless Crisis (Photos)Driver In Fatal Hit & Run Arrested, Police SayNew 'Jeopardy!' Host In Negotiations
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.