Description
MEDFORD, MA — The financial toll of the damages caused by an over-height truck that smashed into the Roosevelt Circle overpass last week is still unknown, but it will likely be in the "million-dollar range," Highway Administrator Jonathan Gulliver said.
Gulliver told the MassDOT board of directors Monday both I-93 South and Roosevelt Circle have reopened to full capacity following temporary repairs, with narrower lanes on the overpass. He described the work done to repair the bridge, which included building shoring towers in the highway to stabilize it while crews removed a fascia beam that was "nearly torn in half."
"What happened here is it left the bridge in a very unstable condition," Gulliver said, showing a picture of the damage. "Effectively, that bridge beam in this photo had no carrying capacity left and was really only being held in the air by the fact that it was attached to the bridge deck."
Temporary repairs are estimated at "several hundred thousands" of dollars, while long-term repairs are expected to cost less, Gulliver said. Permanent repairs will likely take about 8-12 months to complete.
"I am extremely proud of the way our staff managed the situation," Gulliver told the board.
MassDOT said it plans to hold Alabama-based Dove Transportation, which owned the truck, "legally and financially responsible" for damages.
Previously: I-93 Bridge Repairs: All Lanes Reopen In Medford
I-93 Bridge Repairs: Highway Reopening Pushed To Thursday
Truck Driver Cited In Crash That Damaged I-93 Bridge
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.