More Money Needed To Fund Melrose Library Renovation

News

Melrose MA

14 July, 2021

12:49 PM

Description

MELROSE, MA — The $8 million grant to renovate the library would only cover about 40 percent of the project's total price tag, leaving the city searching for more funding. The city announced last week it is in line to receive the $7,993,290 grant from the Massachusetts Board of Library Commissioners, with an additional $279,765 available if the library is energy efficient. But the total cost will be closer to $20 million, and the city isn't yet sure where it will find those funds. The City Council still must approve the project and authorize a bond. Melrose accepting the award is contingent on securing matching funds by Jan. 10. If funds are found and City Council gives the green light, construction is likely to start in 2022 and last 18 months. The library would operate out of a still undetermined temporary location during that time. City officials say the library is in dire need of renovation. The building on West Emerson Street opened in 1904 and saw an addition in 1963. Significant improvements haven't been made in more than 30 years. "The repair and renovation needs are tremendous, and we simply cannot continue to use a band aid approach to maintaining our infrastructure," Mayor Paul Brodeur said in announcing the grant last week. The library is not ADA-compliant, and has no security system, no rooms designated for teens, no air conditioning in some spaces and other inadequate features. The project would make it safer for emergency responses while providing a fully accessible front entrance, a room dedicated for teens, other rooms for community meetings, a new innovative technology space, a new HVAC system and moving the children's room out of the basement, among other improvements. The project will also help preserve its historic facade. The grant was applied for in 2017 under Mayor Rob Dolan. "If we wait for a crisis, we'll have missed out on this significant funding opportunity and it will be too late," Brodeur said. "If we want this historic building to be here in 100 years, we need to act now. Former Mayor Rob Dolan said it best back in 2016: to leave this money on the table would be a 'generational sin.'" Mike Carraggi can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @PatchCarraggi. Subscribe to Melrose Patch for free local news and alerts and like us on Facebook

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area