Description
AUSTIN, TX — Austin police have arrested a man responsible for an hours-long SWAT standoff near a South Austin apartment complex.
Officials said the suspect was in custody as of 1:24 p.m. Thursday. A shelter-in-place order, which had been in effect since 9 a.m., was lifted for a one-mile radius of the Oak Ridge Apartments on the 3700 block of Southridge Drive.
Authorities said they attempted to make contact with the man, who had barricaded himself in an apartment. He was "uncooperative" with police, officials told reporters Thursday afternoon.
The man actively fought and resisted officers. He was taken to a local hospital to be examined and will be taken to Travis County Jail on multiple felony warrants as well as potential charges for mail theft, evading arrest, resisting arrest, escape and additional charges, authorities said.
Officials said the suspect had gained access to multiple apartment units, including a patrol vehicle. The man was not armed and did not have any hostages. No civilians were injured; however, the man did have minor injuries.
The man's identity has yet to be released, authorities said.
***UPDATE*** Subject is in custody. Media briefing with PIO Ofc. Bullock set for 1:30 p.m. and will be livestreamed on https://t.co/Bv2t9o7x0V -SJ https://t.co/KdimRByQxU— Austin Police Department (@Austin_Police) July" class="redactor-linkify-object">https://twitter.com/Austin_Pol... 1, 2021
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.