Description
SALEM, MA — Salem will have police and fire joint "red and blue" patrols out this weekend looking to prevent a repeat of last year's illegal fireworks frenzy.
Mayor Kim Driscoll reiterated this week that the city has increased its fines to the highest allowed under state law — $300 for a first offense and $1,000 for subsequent offenses, for disobeying an order from the state Fire Marshal.
"Not only are they dangerous and disruptive," Driscoll said in her "From The Mayor's Desk" newsletter, "they could cost you a lot in fines."
Driscoll said the "red and blue" patrols will target certain neighborhoods where they were have been many past complaints of illegal fireworks.
She encouraged residents to report instances of illegal fireworks here.
"I know many are disappointed that we weren't able to have an official fireworks display for this July 4th," Driscoll said. "But, we will have one for Heritage Days in August. So, please, be patient for August and leave the fireworks to the professionals."
Salem "postponed" its Derby Wharf fireworks show in April, citing uncertainty about public gathering limits for the holiday amid the ongoing coronavirus health crisis. By the time Gov. Charlie Baker lifted all state business and gathering restrictions on May 29, most communities in the state found it too late to plan for and put on a show that typically takes months to coordinate.
Did you find this article useful? Invite a friend to subscribe to Patch.
(Scott Souza is a Patch field editor covering Beverly, Danvers, Marblehead, Peabody, Salem and Swampscott. He can be reached at [email protected]. Twitter: @Scott_Souza.)
More Patch Coverage: 4th Of July Fireworks 2021 Near Salem
Salem 4th Of July Fireworks Celebration Postponed For 2021
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.