MA Lawmakers Kill To-Go Cocktail Extension

News

Boston MA

26 May, 2021

2:17 PM

Description

BOSTON — Raise a glass and say goodbye to two of the few bright spots in the coronavirus pandemic: rules that allowed restaurants to serve "to-go" cocktails and capped the fees third-party food delivery services could charge restaurant customers. In a voice vote, the state Senate rejected two budget amendments that would have extended the rules for two years after the current, coronavirus pandemic state of emergency is lifted in Massachusetts on June 15. Both amendments were sponsored by Sen. Diana DiZoglio, a Methuen Democrat. After Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker announced the timetable for ending his March 2020 emergency order earlier this month, DiZoglio wrote Senate President Karen E. Spilka and House Speaker Ron Mariano and called for immediate action on the bills. "These measures were critical to helping our small businesses remain afloat in the face of the pandemic – and remain just as essential to them now, on the road to recovery," DiZoglio said. "It is imperative we get this legislation across the finish line as soon as possible and ensure our local restaurants do not lose access to these crucial, revenue-generating opportunities that can make all the difference regarding their survival." Restaurants, as well as the Massachusetts Restaurant Association, praised Baker's decision to lift COVID-19 restrictions on May 29, including capacity limits. But restaurants are still struggling, the association said. The association estimates 3,400 restaurants have closed since the start of the pandemic, and that the industry lost $7 billion in revenue over the past year. At the same time, the Massachusetts Package Stores Association is calling for the rules to expire with the emergency order. The association of liquor stores in the state says the to-go cocktails have hurt their members' businesses.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area