Description
SANTA CRUZ COUNTY, CA — The Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors has declared an emergency in the wake of last week's storm.
The storm caused $4 million in damage, including washouts in parts of Valencia School, White and Schulties roads. Flooding was also reported along Buena Vista Drive in Watsonville, the county said.
The Santa Cruz County Board of Supervisors on Tuesday unanimously declared an emergency over last week's atmospheric...Posted by County of Santa Cruz on Tuesday, February 2, 2021 This emergency declaration paves the way for the county to request emergency funding for repairs from the state and federal governments, the county said.
Last week's storm prompted the evacuation of some 5,000 in Santa Cruz County as an atmospheric river — like a river in the sky — approached the region. In the wake of the destructive CZU August Lightning Complex fires, officials were concerned about debris flow, which occurs when water flows downhill through burned areas — carrying with it burned trees, rocks, silt and other debris. Debris flow can cause more injuries than the preceding wildfire itself.
Unlike a wildfire, "once [debris flows] happen it's too late to get out," said county spokesperson Jason Hoppin during a news conference last week. "You can't outrun a debris flow."
Read more: Santa Cruz County Storm Latest: Evacuees Return; 'We Got Lucky'
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.