Statehouse Protected, Leaders Pleased After FBI's Protest Warning

News

Annapolis MD

27 January, 2021

4:20 PM

Description

ANNAPOLIS, MD — Annapolis Mayor Gavin Buckley is pleased with the city's protection of the statehouse last week. The FBI previously warned states that all their capitals could be the targets of armed protests before the presidential inauguration. "There was a lot of anxiety about the threats that we all heard might be coming to state capitals," Buckley said in a Tuesday newsletter. "Luckily nothing came of it." Buckley confirmed that he got the FBI's memo. City, county, state and federal emergency teams converged to investigate. They found no threats to the city, but they were still on high alert. The group distributed flyers with information to every business downtown. Daily civic alerts kept residents informed. The Maryland State Police and Maryland Capitol Police ramped up their patrol around government buildings. "This stuff doesn't just happen," the mayor added. "It takes organization, coordination and a lot of long hours." In the end, the statehouse was calm around Jan. 20's inauguration. President Joe Biden took office during a ceremony protected by more than 20,000 members of the National Guard, including 500 from Maryland. "Luckily, it all went smoothly and we didn't see a replay of what happened at the United States Capitol building," Buckley concluded. "I am grateful for their efforts and I know you all are too. Like what you're reading? Invite a friend to subscribe to free Annapolis newsletters and real-time email alerts. RELATED: MD Man Executed Days Before Trump Leaves OfficeHogan Calls For Unity, MD Leaders Eye Changes After InaugurationTrump Frees 1 Marylander From Life Sentence, Pardons DozensMD National Guard Is Ready To Protect Inauguration: HoganMD Boosts Statehouse Security; FBI Warns Of Armed Protests2nd Trump Impeachment: How Maryland's House Delegation VotedAfter Death Of Capitol Police Officers, Flags Lower To Half-StaffOfficer Suspended, Accused Of Involvement At U.S. Capitol: PoliceBunker Phone Calls, Military Delays: Hogan Responds To Trump MobHogan Says Trump Isn't Fit For Office, Suggests Pence Is BetterMD Leaders Condemn 'Insurrection' That Overtook U.S. CapitolMaryland Police, County Officers Deployed For DC ProtestTrump Mob Attacks Capitol; 4 Deaths; 69 Arrests; FBI Seeks Tips Have a story idea? Please contact me at [email protected] with any pitches, tips or questions. Follow me on Twitter @JacobBaumgart and on Facebook @JacobBaumgartJournalist to stay up-to-date with the latest Anne Arundel County and Prince George's County news.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area