Description
NEWPORT, RI — Rogers High School is moving to distance learning for the remainder of the week due to increased coronavirus cases, Newport's superintendent said. The school will be closed through Monday due to staffing shortages.
Superintendent Colleen Burns Jermain said the increased positive cases caused "an inability to safely staff the school, due to the close contact impact and quarantine guidelines." The plan is to resume the hybrid learning model on Tuesday.
Jermain thanked Newport's parents, students, teachers and staff "for their vigilance, patience and cooperation over the past 10 months," saying that Newport has moved through the pandemic so far because of the community's compliance with safety guidelines.
"I know how difficult it is to not get together with friends and family," she said in a letter to the school community. "But the fact is, students and adults who get together are putting themselves and all of us at risk ... We know that in-person learning is best for all our students and teachers, but we can only offer in-person learning if everyone adheres to the rules."
Jermain went on to say that families experiencing "COVID fatigue" should consider moving to distance learning for the remainder of the year, to keep in-person students and staff safe.
"Please, please, stay strong," Jermain said. "Resist the temptation to get together with others. There's too much at stake for our children, our staff and our community."
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.