Rhode Island's Restaurant Curfews Lifts This Weekend
News
Cranston RI
28 January, 2021
4:02 PM
Description
PROVIDENCE, RI — Rhode Island's regulation requiring restaurants to close at a certain time will lift this weekend, state officials announced Thursday. The policy, which has been in place since the start of the state's coronavirus "pause," has come under fire by some lawmakers and the business community. "We hope this will provide business owners with some flexibility and relief," said Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott, the director of the Rhode Island Department of Health. All other restrictions currently in place for restaurants, including the requirement that bar areas remain closed, will still be in effect. The policy, which required restaurants to close by 10 p.m. during the week or 10:30 p.m. on weekends, will lift on Sunday. Dale Venturini, the president of the Rhode Island Hospitality Association, praised the decision. "The RI Hospitality Association has been working hard over the last several weeks to lift the curfew on Rhode Island restaurants," Venturini said in a statement. "We'd like to thank our legislators, as well as the many cities and towns for their support to end this curfew period and look forward to normal operating hours beginning on Sunday. While we continue to work on eliminating bar-seating restrictions, this is an important step forward in helping our industry recover." Neighboring Massachusetts, which has paralleled Rhode Island in coronavirus regulations throughout the pandemic, had a similar curfew policy in place until it was lifted last week. Rep. William O'Brien, who has been a vocal opponent of the curfew, also commended the Rhode Island Department of Health for changing the policy, saying it "placed incredible stress on our state's restaurants and small businesses." "We are beginning to see the light at the end of this dark tunnel and as our state's virus metrics continue to trend downward, this was the appropriate decision for the health and betterment of our storied restaurant scene," O'Brien said. The North Providence Democrat went on to say that bar areas should be allowed to open as well. "There is no evidence that the virus behaves differently at a bar compared to a restaurant table and in addition to the thousands of dollars these establishments invested in COVID-19 safety procedures and PPE, I urge that the Department of Health also lifts the restrictions on bar areas in restaurants," he continued. Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott, the director of the Department of Health, announced that all other regulations currently in place in Rhode Island have been extended for another month. These restrictions have been in place since the end of the pause in December. Although Rhode Island's coronavirus data has been improving in recent weeks, Alexander-Scott cautioned residents not to become complacent. "This is the exact direction where we need to go," Alexander-Scott said Thursday. "[But] we are not out of the woods yet." The state's current coronavirus restrictions are summarized below. Indoor dining: Capacity raised from 33 percent to 50 percent; only one household per tableVenues of assembly: Allowed to reopen at 25 percent capacity, with a maximum of 125 peopleGyms: Allowed to reopen with one person per 150 square footIndoor recreation facilities: Allowed to reopen with one person per 150 square footIn-person school: Preschool through Eighth grade open, high school limited at districts' discretion. Higher education remote only.Child care: OpenManufacturing and construction: openPersonal services (salons, barbers, etc): open Coronavirus in Rhode Island: Read more Another Promising Day For RI's Coronavirus Positivity RateRI Back Within Safe Range For Coronavirus Positivity RateT.F. Green Airport Debuts UV Light Sanitizer For High-Touch AreasNewport Recruiting Volunteers For Vaccine DistributionMcKee: Older Adults, Teachers Should Get Vaccine PriorityRhode Island's Coronavirus Hospitalizations Reach Two-Month Low
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.