Raimondo, McKee Noticeably Absent From Weekly Coronavirus Update
News
Cranston RI
21 January, 2021
3:26 PM
Description
PROVIDENCE, RI — Both the governor and governor-to-be were noticeably absent from this week's coronavirus news conference, which have been a mainstay in the state since the beginning of the pandemic. While they are still held weekly, the briefings are now exclusively run by Dr. Nicole Alexander-Scott, the director of the Rhode Island Department of Health. Raimondo started holding daily briefings when the pandemic first hit last spring, splitting her time with Alexander-Scott and answering questions submitted by reporters, online, in real time and on a conference call following the public address. The weekly briefings were later moved to Veterans Memorial Auditorium, which allowed reporters to attend in person while following social distancing regulations. Both Raimondo and Alexander-Scott allowed questions for approximately one-third of the weekly briefings, until the end of the calendar year. Raimondo's last briefing of 2020 was a few days before Christmas. No briefing was held the week between Christmas and New Year's Day, and the first scheduled event of the year was rescheduled due to Raimondo's return to coronavirus self-quarantine, then her announcement as then-President-elect Joe Biden's pick for Commerce Secretary. The governor returned to the Vets stage last week, alongside soon-to-be-governor Dan McKee. Both delivered prepared remarks, then left the building without taking any questions. James Bessette, the president of the Rhode Island Press Association, said in a statement Jan. 13 that "we seriously hope [this] was a one-off situation,"noting that the state is still in the grips of the coronavirus pandemic, and that the leaders of neighboring New England states "have addressed the media and theirs constituency regarding the pandemic, offered updates on new regulations or assistance programs in their respective states since Dec. 22." "A noted former Rhode Island journalist put it aptly in his social media account that the governor's disengagement from the press is 'disgraceful during a pandemic,'" the statement read in part. "I agree. It's one thing to say 'no comment' about her new role in Washington. But 'no comment' does not apply to COVID-19, and the governor unfortunately chose that route with the press." When asked about Raimondo and McKee's departure last week, Alexander-Scott said "we wanted to keep this [event] focused on COVID-19." The following day, McKee held a press open house. When asked at the event if he plans to attend or run the weekly briefings, he said he plans to have an open, honest relationship with the press, but did not specify if he planned to be directly involved on a weekly basis. On Thursday, Raimondo tweeted a message of thanks to Rhode Islanders after the state's daily percent positive rate was 3.5 percent, the lowest on record in months. "We're on a good path," she said. "Keep wearing your mask, sticking with your household and getting tested often. The end is in sight." Patch reached out to Raimondo's office for comment. Related: RI Coronavirus Vaccination Rollout: 63,152 Doses AdministeredA Closer Look At Rhode Island's Coronavirus Vaccination EffortRaimondo: Being RI Governor Was 'Greatest Honor Of My Life'Who Is Dan McKee, Rhode Island's Next Governor?Biden Formally Introduces RI Governor As Commerce NomineeRhode Island Leaders Applaud Raimondo For Commerce Nomination
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.