Charges Dropped Against Former Philly Cop Seen Hitting Protester
News
Philadelphia PA
15 January, 2021
2:24 PM
Description
PHILADELPHIA — A former Philadelphia Police inspector who was accused of assaulting a protester during unrest in June last year had charges filed against him dropped. Court records for former inspector Joseph Bologna, 54, show a lack of evidence led to charges filed against him being dropped. Authorities initially charged him with simple assault, recklessly endangering another person, and possessing an instrument of crime. But during his preliminary hearing Friday, Judge Henry Lewandowski ruled not enough evidence was presented to proceed with charges against Bologna, a 30-year veteran of the department. Despite the charges being dropped, District Attorney Larry Krasner said his office plans to "pursue this case to a just conclusion," according to Bill Penn. Bologna, who been involved in previous misconduct and corruption scandals was captured on camera striking 21-year-old Temple University student Evan Gorski, 21, in the back of his head on the Ben Franklin Parkway during George Floyd protests on June 1, 2020. Philly police attempt to disperse crowd after hundreds mased/gassed on Parkway. This was @ 5:30 as curfew nears. Dude w/ white shirt provokes scuffle, shoves baton into civilian's throat. #phillyprotest #blacklivesmatter #GeorgeFloydprotests #protests2020 pic.twitter.com/XDKOMbr0Sr— Peopledelphia (@Peopledelphia) June 1, 2020 The Video shows Bologna using a collapsible metal police baton to strike Gorski. The DA's office said Gorksi needed about 10 staples and about 10 sutures on his head following the incident. Gorski was arrested by Philadelphia Police on the scene and was detained for more than 24 hours and was referred to the District Attorney's Office for prosecution, the DA's office said. However, Krasner decided not to charge Gorski based on review of videos taken during the incident.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.