Description
LONG BEACH, NY — The City of Long Beach said it plans to appeal a judgement that would cost it more than $130 million in a three-decade-old legal case.
According to the city, a Nassau County Supreme Court Justice ruled on Monday that the city would pay $131 million in the 31-year-old case of Haberman V. Zoning Board of Appeals of City of Long Beach. The case dates back to 1989, and revolves around the revocation of building permits that were previously approved to build condo towers at 350 Shore Road.
The city said the permits were revoked after the Zoning Board determined that the builder did not abide by a stipulation between the two parties.
Haberman sued the city, and the case was in court for decades. Eventually, Haberman won, and the city's 2017 appeal was denied. Since then, the city and Haberman have argued the damage claim, which was ruled on Monday to be $131 million. The city argued against the reward of any damages.
"This is a very old matter that far predates the involvement of the current members of the Council, city leadership, and almost all of the other parties that have been involved over the three decades of litigation," said City Council President John Bendo. "It is another challenge from the past that we inherited and now must deal with. We will be examining all available options to safeguard the financial interests of our residents to the greatest degree possible."
Richard Berrios, the city's deputy corporation counsel, said the city plans to appeal the judge's ruling.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.