Description
MIAMI, FL — The U.S. Coast Guard repatriated 12 Cuban migrants Monday after intercepting their ocean voyage about 8 miles east of Fort Lauderdale three days earlier.
The Coast Guard's Miami command center was alerted of "a crowded 21-foot vessel" off the Florida coast on Friday, according to a USCG news release. A crew from the Coast Guard's Fort Lauderdale station and the Coast Guard cutter Manatee investigated the report.
The Fort Lauderdale crew then worked with U.S. Customs and Border Protection to bring the Cuban migrants safely aboard a Coast Guard law enforcement craft. They were later transferred to the Coast Guard Cutter Issac Mayo for repatriation to Cuba, the news release said.
"The crew and I are extremely pleased with the outcome of the recent joint interdiction with our shipmates from Station Fort Lauderdale," Petty Off. 2nd Class Luke Brandenburg, cutter Manatee boarding officer, said. "Sector Miami's readiness posture and increased maritime domain awareness allowed for a prompt and safe interdiction, preserving both the safety of life at sea and the integrity of our maritime borders."
The Coast Guard has intercepted and repatriated 47 Cuban migrants so far in fiscal year 2021, which began Oct. 1, 2020, the news release said. In fiscal year 2020, the Coast Guard intercepted 49 Cuban migrants. These numbers represent the total number of at-sea interdictions, landings and disruptions in the Florida Straits, the Caribbean and Atlantic Ocean.
Once aboard a Coast Guard cutter, all migrants receive food, water, shelter and basic medical attention. Throughout the interdiction Coast Guard crew members were equipped with personal protective equipment to minimize potential exposure to any possible case of COVID-19, the USCG said.
Discussion
By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.