Chad Wolf Resigns From DHS After Criticizing Trump Mob's Assault On Capital

News

San Diego CA

12 January, 2021

4:07 PM

Description

By Chris Jennewein, Times of San Diego January 11, 2021 Acting Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf told his staff on Monday he was stepping down, the latest senior Trump administration official to resign following last week's deadly mob attack on the Capitol. The Department of Homeland Security press office said Wolf would leave his post at 11:59 p.m. on Monday. Pete Gaynor, administrator of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, will take over as acting secretary, the office said. President Donald Trump withdrew Wolf's nomination to be permanent homeland security secretary last week after Wolf publicly criticized the mob assault on the Capitol as "unconscionable" and implored Trump to strongly condemn the violence. According to news reports, Wolf told his staff that it was his intention to serve until the end of the Trump administration, but he decided to resign immediately because of "recent events, including the ongoing and meritless court rulings regarding the validity of my authority as acting secretary." Wolf has been serving in the position in an acting capacity for more than a year. Times of San Diego is an independent online news site covering the San Diego metropolitan area. Our journalists report on politics, crime, business, sports, education, arts, the military and everyday life in San Diego. No subscription is required, and you can sign up for a free daily newsletter with a summary of the latest news.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area