SamTrans, Facing Steep Rider Reduction, Receives $16M In Funding

News

San Mateo CA

30 March, 2021

4:58 PM

Description

SAN MATEO COUNTY, CA — SamTrans, the public transit agency serving San Mateo County, received $16 million in federal funds from the second COVID-19 relief package passed last year, which it hopes will help combat a 65 percent reduction in ridership due to the pandemic. In a news release on Monday, agency officials said that funding from the CARES Act allowed SamTrans to keep running, and that the additional funds will contribute toward long-term projects and programs. "COVID-19 has simply been catastrophic for public transit," said Charles Stone, SamTrans Board of Directors Chair, in a news release. "This federal support is vitally necessary to ensure that SamTrans can continue to be there for the people who depend on it." SamTrans has been serving the county since 1976 and has 70 bus routes. Other Bay Area transit agencies also received funding. The San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency ($297 million), BART ($274 million) and AC Transit ($55 million) were included. Caltrain and the Valley Transportation Authorities received over $39 million each as well, according to a news release.

By:  view source

Discussion

By posting you agree to the Terms and Privacy Policy.

/
Search this area